Decorating and improvements to your council home
At the start of your tenancy, you may be given a decoration allowance. This is a one-off voucher that you can use in Homebase. The voucher must be used within three months of issue and only decorating materials can be purchased with the voucher. You will then be responsible for all future decorating costs during your tenancy.
For more information contact your Housing Management Officer.
Making your own improvements
As a tenant, you have the right to carry out your own improvements to your council home, as long as you get our written permission first. For example, you could fit new double-glazing or make improvements to a kitchen or bathroom. We will only refuse permission if we have a good reason for doing so.
You must not make any alterations until you have received our permission, which will also tell you what conditions you need to keep to.
You may be able to claim compensation for any improvements you have made when your tenancy ends and you move out. There are a number of rules relating to the compensation scheme but the following improvements may qualify:
- bath or shower, wash-hand basin
- kitchen sink and work surfaces for preparing food
- storage cupboards in bathroom or kitchen
- central heating, hot water boilers and other types of heating
- thermostatic radiator valves
- pipe, water tank or cylinder insulation
- loft and cavity wall insulation
- draught proofing of external doors or windows
- double glazing or other window replacement, or secondary glazing
- rewiring, or the provision of power and lighting or other electrical fittings (including smoke detectors)
- security measures (excluding burglar alarms)
Interior decoration such as painting and wallpapering does not qualify for compensation.
Contact your Housing Management Officer for more information about the compensation for improvements scheme.
Decorating service for older council tenants
It is your responsibility as a council tenant to carry out internal decorations to your council home.
However, we can assist older tenants to redecorate their home if they have had no internal decorations carried out by us in the past five years. To be eligible for this service you must meet all of the following conditions:
- All the tenants in your property are over 60, or they receive disability benefits;
- You have a clear rent account; and
- Your property has no more than two bedrooms.
We will decorate a room for you, or the hallway or landing if you live in a property with stairs, once every five years. You can choose the colour of the paint to be used free of charge, or you can purchase your choice of wallpaper at your own cost.
How to apply
Once we have received your application, we will contact you within five working days.
How long will I have to wait?
If we accept your application, we will add you to our waiting list. The work is done on a ‘first come – first served’ basis. We aim to complete the works for you within four months of approving your application.
We may be able to decorate a room, even if you do not meet all the conditions, but we will charge you for the full cost for the work.
For more information contact our Housing Assets Section
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone 01992 564203