Housing advice for residents

We offer advice on a wide range of housing issues. You may be looking for accommodation in the district, or you may be looking for assistance to help you stay in the home where you live now.

Applying to the council for housing

Our Housing Register lists all the people who have applied for council housing or housing association accommodation. Properties are let through the HomeOption choice based lettings scheme. We also give housing advice and information to people who have a housing problem. We have a homelessness prevention service and temporary housing may be provided at our hostel, or in other temporary accommodation. The Housing Options section also deals with mutual exchanges and council garage lettings.


What should you do if you are threatened with homelessness or you think you might become homeless?

Don't wait. Seek housing advice and assistance from the Council's Homelessness Team at the earliest opportunity. The more time our officers have, the more likely it is that we will be able to prevent you from becoming homeless.

Housing associations and affordable housing

We work with housing associations to develop new affordable homes. These are normally let to people on our Housing Register. Other options include shared ownership (part-rent and part-buy) and the Help to Buy scheme which aims to help you buy a new-build home. We have started on a small-scale council housebuilding programme, building new affordable housing for rent on the council's own land.

Housing services for older people

We have services for older people, including sheltered housing which is staffed by Council scheme managers who visit the residents regularly according to their needs. People in sheltered housing have access to our Careline emergency call system and telecare services, which are also available to residents in the private sector.

Caring and repairing in Epping Forest (C A R E) is a home improvement agency which helps older homeowners and private tenants remain at home in greater comfort, warmth and security with a range of services. The team can also provide advice about loans and financial assistance.

Private sector housing - advice for owner occupiers, private tenants and landlords

The Communities Directorate has a team of environmental health and technical officers dealing with all aspects of residential health. They can assist with queries relating to housing conditions in privately rented accommodation, homes in multiple occupation (HMOs), camping sites, mobile or park homes and empty properties.

Information for council leaseholders

Over 1000 of our flats and maisonettes have been sold under the 'Right to Buy' and the owners are council leaseholders.


Useful links


Apply for it

Useful Files