Community Champions, a volunteer programme across the towns and villages of Epping Forest district is up and running.
The initiative aims to build on the skills and knowledge of local people to create, happy, friendly and healthy communities. To do this Epping Forest District Council is bringing together like-minded people from local towns and villages to share ideas and experiences from their communities to improve the health and wellbeing of local people.
The initiative was launched in October with nine Champions taking part in an induction morning where they learned about the support and development offered by the Council throughout the programme. They also all became Dementia Friends after taking part in an Information Session.
Community Champions have been recruited in the following towns and parishes:
- Buckhurst Hill
- Theydon Bois
What is the role of a Community Champion?
Community Champions can help you to:
- Get to know what’s going on in the local area
- Learn more about how to stay healthy and active
- Access local services you might need
- Organise community events
There is an ongoing recruitment campaign for volunteers from each of the towns and parishes within the Epping Forest district.
Do you know of a local resident who would be interested in joining us and making a real difference in the community?
We are looking for people who are:
- Living in the Epping Forest district
- Aged 18 years or above
- Passionate about where they live
- Able to build strong community connections
- Happy to support and promote fun days and community events
- Willing to share information about local services in the area
- Able to promote useful health improvement information within the community
Get involved and make a difference
Councillor Helen Kane, Leisure and Community Services Portfolio Holder said: “I am extremely proud of our Community Champions for putting themselves forward to volunteer, and I am excited to hear their ideas. The Community Champions programme is a great way to meet new people and develop your skills and knowledge. We would love for you to get involved and make a real difference in your community!’’
More information and how to join
For further information on the Epping Forest Community Champions programme and details on how to join please contact Patrick Arnold, Senior Community Engagement Officer.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone 01992 564 556