If you want to move to a smaller council home, our downsizing scheme is designed to help tenants move to a home with fewer bedrooms.
If you are an under-occupier living in a council home that has more bedrooms than you need, or you want help moving to a home that’s easier to maintain, our downsizing scheme can help.
This scheme has all sorts of incentives to help you
- Removal costs and practical help to move
- Cash incentives for each bedroom you give up
- Help with decoration costs
Who is eligible
- Council tenants
- Housing association tenants (downsizing incentive payment does not apply)
- You must be living in a property with 1 or more bedrooms and want to move into either general needs or sheltered accommodation
- Tenants with rent arrears will be considered but the arrears will be deducted from your incentive payment
What are the benefits
- Downsizers will be prioritised for a move to an area of your choice
- You will get £1,000 for each bedroom you give up (up to £4,000)
- You will get help with removal costs (£500)
- Your heating and gas charges may be greatly reduced if you move into a smaller home
- Your rent could be lower
- Practical help with changing your doctor, contacting utility companies, and more
How to apply
Contact our Rehousing Support Officer. Terms and conditions will apply.
Phone 01992 564026