Councillor Brian Surtees, district councillor for the Chipping Ongar, Greensted and Marden Ash ward, has died.
The district council flag in Epping has been lowered today as a mark of respect.
A great shock
“Brian’s death came as a great shock” said Councillor Jon Whitehouse, Leader of the Liberal Democrat group at Epping Forest District Council.
“He was someone who believed in service and in helping others. He demonstrated that commitment in his professional life, in his ministry for the Church of England and in his service on Ongar Town Council and the district council.”
“I will miss him greatly and my thoughts are with his family and close friends.”
Always friendly and thoughtful
Epping Forest District Council Leader of Council Councillor Chris Whitbread said: “Brian was a hard-working councillor, always friendly and thoughtful. I was saddened to hear of his death, he will be missed by all who knew him.”
“I offer my sincere condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.”
Brian had been a Liberal Democrat Councillor on Epping Forest District Council from 2014 to 2018.
He served on many of the council’s committees during this time, including
- Licensing Committee as Chairman
- Adjudication Sub-Committee – Epping Forest Standards Committee
- Area Plans East Sub-Committee
- Communities Select Committee
- Complaints Panel
- Governance Select Committee
- Grant Aid Review Task and Finish Scrutiny Panel
- Joint Consultative Committee
- Neighbourhood Select Committee
- Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- Planning Service Scrutiny Panel
- Portfolio Holder Advisory Group on Superfast Broadband
- Safer, Cleaner, Greener Scrutiny Panel
- Standards Committee
- Transformation Task and Finish Panel
- Youth Engagement Review Task and Finish Panel