Street naming and numbering
Addresses are important as they give police, emergency services, and the general public a way of locating and referencing properties.
Under the Town Improvement Clauses Act 1847 we are responsible for the naming and numbering of streets and properties in the Epping Forest District.
We are responsible for:
- assigning official street names to new and existing streets
- assigning official property numbers to all new and existing properties
- changes to and allocation of property names
- renaming of streets and renumbering of properties
- the erection of replacement and maintenance of street nameplates
- ensuring that the Royal Mail are notified of new or amended property addresses to enable them to assign postcodes
- ensuring that the emergency and essential services are notified of all new properties and streets
The property owner is responsible for:
- clearly displaying their property number
- using the correct official address, including property number
New addresses for developments:
For large, individual or small developments - if you are developing a new street or estate, building a new property or properties, or replacing / redeveloping an existing property into multiple dwellings, you should contact the council as soon as possible to arrange for the allocation of addresses and refer to the naming and number policy to assist you in making a successful application.
You will need to submit the following:
- a written request advising the council of any intended street names, or house names you wish to use within the development
- a location plan which identifies where the development is taking place
- a site plan which clearly identifies the layout of the site and plot numbers where appropriate for each property involved (if there are any flats or apartments involved you will also need to include floor plans for these)
- details of planning permissions obtained
- the appropriate fee
Complete the checklist form before submitting your application:
Naming your property
You are allowed to name your property. However, if your property has an official number the name can only be used in conjunction with the number and cannot replace it.
When choosing a property name, it should not be the same as, or similar to, another house name in the area.
Property owners wishing to add, amend or remove a property name will need to submit the following:
- written request supplying a minimum of two names for consideration
- a location plan which clearly identifies the property to be named
- the appropriate fee for carrying out this service
Please download the check list form before submitting your application.
For the Street Naming and Numbering Policy please click here to view/download.
To request a street nameplate, or report a missing or damaged street nameplate contact the Recycling and waste on 01992 564608.
For all queries regarding postcodes contact Royal Mail via their postcode enquiry line on 08456 045060 or you can check online using the Royal Mail postcode finder.
House name change / addition - £52.50 per property.
Development of 1+ properties - £52.50 for first property plus £18.00 per additional property.
Changes in initial development after initial notification - £52.50 for first property affected plus £18.00 per additional property affected.
Renaming of street at residents request - £52.50 for first property plus £18.00 per additional property involved to be split evenly with all residents affected.
Confirmation of postal address details - £2.85 per certificate issued plus £18.00 per property involved (admin charge).
Please note that these charges are not subject to VAT and can be paid in the following way:
- by post - by enclosing a cheque made payable to Epping Forest District Council, and sent to , Street Naming and Numbering, Environment & Street Scene, Epping Forest District Council, Civic Offices, High Street, Eppnig, Essex CM16 4BZ.
- by cash - by visiting the Council Offices at Street Naming and Numbering, Environment & Street Scene, Epping Forest District Council, Civic Offices, High Street, Eppnig, Essex CM16 4BZ
- by debit card - by telephoning 01992 564608