Environment and Neighbourhoods Team
The Neighbourhoods Team plays a key role in the delivery of the Council’s “Safer, Cleaner, Greener” strategy. The uniformed team of seven Environment & Neighbourhood Officers (ENO) are accredited under the Essex Police Community Safety Accreditation Scheme (CSAS) and are empowered to issue fixed penalty notices for a range of environmental crime offences such as littering and dog fouling.
The team has a Neighbourhood Response Officer operating from an Environmental Response vehicle, providing a timely response to the removal of small fly tips, graffiti, fly posters and litter clearance.
The team of officers cover the whole of the district, with each officer covering a specific geographical area of the district as the first point of contact for any new issues that arise in their area.
Enquiries can be made on 01992 564608 and issues can be reported online.
The Neighbourhoods Team investigate and take action in respect of a wide range of public health nuisances and environmental crime issues, such as:
- Noise including the council’s out of hours noise service
- Waste offences and related work including fly-tipping, accumulations of rubbish, poor waste management and incorrect disposal of household and commercial waste
- Bonfires, dust and grit from premises
- Fly Posting
- Dog fouling
- Licensing - enforcement including unlicensed street trading, taxis and licensed premises. The team also acts as the responsible authority for Public Nuisance in relation to licensing applications.
- Artificial light nuisance
- Nuisance vehicles (work on the street)
- Unauthorised caravan encampments
In addition to this reactive work, the team provides advice and education. The team are happy to discuss cases informally and provide guidance.