We offer financial assistance and grants to home owners, private tenants and landlords. The types of financial assistance available are :

  • Disabled Facilities Grants up to £30,000
  • Decent Homes Repayable Assistance up to £10,000
  • Small Works Repayable Assistance up to £3,000
  • Empty Homes Repayable Assistance up to £10,000

Disabled Facilities Grants for adaptations to the homes of disabled owner-occupiers and private tenants are governed by the ‘Housing Grants Construction and Regeneration Act 1996’. You can view the council's own leaflet below.

Decent Homes Repayable Assistance is financial assistance (a loan) to bring private sector dwellings up to the 'Decent Homes Standard', which was introduced by the Government to assess the condition of homes. Assistance may be available where there is a significant hazard within the property, or disrepair, which breaches the standard.

Small Works Repayable Assistance is financial assistance which may be available where there is a hazard as defined under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) or a defect which is likely to damage the fabric of a property unless it is repaired.

Are you eligible for Decent Homes Repayable Assistance or Small Works Repayable Assistance? Complete and return an Initial Assessment Form to find out. 

Energy efficiency works

There is also limited funding available for Epping homeowners and private tenants who are disabled or over 60 and on a means tested benefit to assist with energy efficiency measures such as draught proofing or loft insulation. Contact us for more information.

Our policies

Further information on grants and benefits can also be found on the Government's website.

For more information on financial assistance in the private sector please contact the C.A.R.E. and Grants Team.

Email: pshgrantsandcare@eppingforestdc.gov or phone 01992 564086

 Report an empty property - use the form at the foot of this page

Each home that stands empty is a wasted resource. Within Epping Forest we have a growing demand for homes, for rent or for purchase, and we want to see empty properties brought back into use as quickly as possible. A property left empty and neglected for a long time can bring problems associated with vandalism, squatters, rodents and nuisance - as well as being unsightly and detrimental to the local environment. Maintenance and repair costs can be reduced and there can be other financial advantages in bringing a property back into use, such as revenue from rent and reduced insurance premiums.

There are many ways we can help, by offering advice and assistance along with information on letting, selling and private leasing. There are several schemes and incentives:

The PLACE loan  This is an interest free loan that is available to owners of empty properties to renovate their homes to a suitable standard for selling or letting. The maximum loan is £25,000 per unit of accommodation and the loan must be paid back within 2 years for a ‘loan to sell’ and 5 years for a ‘loan to let’. For further information contact the Empty Property Officer on 01992 564706. You can download a leaflet on the PLACE loan below.

Empty Homes Repayable Assistance  Owners of qualifying properties could get a grant up to £10,000 to bring their home to the Decent Homes Standard, provided they intend to live in it themselves or rent it out for 5 years.

To decide whether you are eligible for Empty Homes Repayable Assistance you need to complete and return an Initial Assessment Form. 

Report an empty home using our online form


You can report an empty property using the online form, or if you would like to discuss any property or issue relating to empty homes, please call the Empty Property Officer on 01992 564706. All calls and information received will be treated in confidence.

Home improvements for older homeowners or private tenants, and for people with disabilities

Through the Caring and Repairing in Epping Forest (C.A.R.E.) Home Improvement Agency, the Council seeks to assist older people and disabled home owners to improve, repair or adapt their houses. We may also be able to assist with home improvements to prevent hospital admission, or to support prompt discharge from hospital. Further information, including the grants available to residents and schemes available can be found here:


C.A.R.E. also provides a handyperson service to retired home-owners and private tenants who are over the age of 60. Our reputable and vetted contractors carry out small, low cost repairs and home security work. They can also provide falls prevention measures.  There is a charge for the service, which is lower for people on means-tested benefits.


Our C.A.R.E. Garden Clearance Scheme is available to home owners and private tenants and is run in conjunction with Voluntary Action Epping Forest. It is open to people who are identified as being vulnerable or at risk because of age, disability or illness. The scheme does not cover routine garden maintenance, applicants must have at least one of the following:

  • an overgrown garden that could result in trips or falls
  • trees or bushes overshadowing the front door leading to a fear of crime
  • a garden that has deteriorated giving the impression that the property is unoccupied
  • an overgrown garden that impedes access by social care, health or other support workers


Contact the Private Sector Housing Assistance Team for more information on any of the above services. Phone 01992 564086 or email pshgrantsandcare@eppingforestdc.gov.uk


Useful Files



Related Links

Contact usContact us

Housing Repairs Service

Telephone: 01992 564199 (24 hour service), Email: housingrepairs@eppingforestdc.gov.uk