The Green Deal

The Green Deal Home Improvement Fund is closed to new applications. You’ll still be able to get money if:

  • you applied before the scheme closed
  • you meet the terms and conditions
  • your installer and provider meets the terms and conditions

The Green Deal Cashback Scheme helps you make energy-saving home improvements, like insulation, to make your home more comfortable. You can pay for some or all of the improvements over time on your electricity bill. Repayments should be no more than what a typical household should save in energy costs. The scheme is a time-bound offer and is limited to one per household. But it can cover a package of improvements as long as you contribute to the installation costs and work is done by an authorised Green Deal Provider.

The Green Deal

Energy-saving improvements include

  • insulation - such as loft or cavity wall insulation
  • heating
  • draught-proofing
  • double glazing
  • renewable energy technologies - including solar panels or wind turbines

Take advantage of the Green Deal

  1. Get an assessment of your property - this will tell you what improvements you can make and estimate how much you could save on your energy bills.
  2. Choose a Green Deal provider to carry out the work, get and agree quotes. You discuss with them what work you want done and whether the Green Deal is right for you.
  3. Apply for a cashback voucher online or by phone 0300 123 1234.
  4. If you go ahead with the improvements you must sign your Green Deal Plan - this is a contract between you and the provider stating what work will be done and how much it will cost. The provider will then arrange for a Green Deal installer to do the work.
  5. The works must be completed within a specified period. Once it is done, you’ll pay off the money in instalments through your electricity bill.

Find a Green Deal provider

For help finding a Green Deal assessor, visit or call the Energy Saving Advice Service on 0300 123 1234.

Quick guides on the Green Deal are also available for owner-occupiers, businesses, social housing providers, private landlords and tenants.

If you live in the district, Epping Forest District Council may be able to give you advice.

Council tenants

Owner occupiers

Private tenants

Please contact your own landlord if you are the tenant of a housing association or another social housing provider.


Download a Green Deal booklet produced for the property industry by the Department of Energy and Climate Change

Useful links


Useful Files

Phone Contact us....

Name: Private Sector Housing
Telephone: 01992 564348

Or you can write to us at:
Private Sector Housing (Technical) Epping Forest District Council Civic Offices, High Street, Epping, Essex, CM16 4BZ