Councillor Richard Bassett has been returned as Chairman of Epping Forest District Council for the second consecutive year.
Councillor Helen Kane is the Council’s new Vice-Chairman. Councillors appointed Councillor Chris Whitbread as Leader of Council for a further four-year term. Following Councillor Helen Kane’s appointment as Vice-Chairman and the retirement of Councillor Anne Grigg, Council Whitbread added Councillors Nigel Bedford, Aniket Patel and Holly Whitbread to his Cabinet.
Annual Council did not go without a hitch. Two minutes before the meeting was due to start at 7.30pm, a short power cut plunged the Council Chamber into darkness. Although the emergency power supply clicked in after a few seconds, the webcasting computers were corrupted and the live webcast was cut. Efforts by Council Staff finally managed to get the webcaster recording again, but not until the first part of the meeting had been completed and only as a recording for later viewing.
- Leader – Councillor Chris Whitbread
- Deputy Leader and Business Support Services – Councillor Syd Stavrou
- Community and Partnership Services – Councillor Nigel Bedford
- Commercial and Regulatory Services – Councillor Aniket Patel
- Housing and Property Services – Councillor Holly Whitbread
- Planning Services – Councillor John Philip
- Contracts and Technical Services – Councillor Nigel Avey
- Customer Services – Councillor Sam Kane
- Strategic Projects – Councillor Alan Lion
Chairman to support Young Carers
Richard Bassett’s nomination for a second term as Chairman was proposed by Councillor Mary Sartin and seconded by Chris Whitbread with unanimous approval across the Chamber. Councillor Bassett took on his first Cabinet role in 2010 before accepting the role of Vice-Chairman in 2017. Among those people who made most impression on him during his first year a Chairman were Young Carers – children and teenagers with special responsibilities for the care of their parent, brothers and sisters. Councillor Bassett invited fellow councillors to join with him in supporting the Young Carers as his Chairman’s Charity for 2019/20.
Other key appointments at Annual Council
- Chairman Plans Sub Committee East – Councillor Paul Keska
- Chairman Plans Sub Committee West – Councillor David Dorrell
- Chairman Plans Sub Committee South – Councillor Gagan Mohindra
- Chairman District Development Management Committee – Councillor Brian Sandler
- Chairman Overview and Scrutiny Committee – Councillor Mary Sartin