Do you how you would respond to a power cut, extreme weather or emergency of any type?
Your preparations should include making sure you have key information, medication, a phone charger and warm clothing to hand if you had to leave your home in an emergency.
People who plan and prepare for this are better able to manage, and recover more quickly.
Things to consider
- Can you function without power or water for 3 days?
- Do you know how to turn off the gas, water and electricity to your home?
- Does your family know what to do in an emergency?
- Do you have a radio to tune into the local radio station to receive updated information on the emergency?
- Do you have a supply of tinned food and bottled water in case you need to stay indoors?
- Do you have a grab bag so that if you have to leave your home in a rush you have all essentials you need?
Prepare your family and home for emergencies
Find out how to prepare for, and manage, situations like these. Read and save the booklet Are you Prepared?
Preparing for emergencies in Essex
Go to the Essex Resilience Forum website to find out how to:
Emergency Alerts is a new service from the UK government. It’s expected to launch in 2023.
Emergency alerts will warn you if there’s a danger to life nearby.
Keep up to date
Keep in touch with our latest news, service updates and reports.