Residents from across Epping Forest district are being asked to take part in a formal consultation on the Strategic Masterplan Framework document for North Weald Bassett.
Formal consultation starts
A consultation was undertaken in June 2023 by Vistry Group – one of the UK’s leading house builders – which is heading up the development of the Masterplan. Since then, the Masterplan has evolved further and been submitted to the district council, which is now undertaking formal consultation before it is finalised and endorsed by the council.
The consultation runs from 21 November 2023 to 16 January 2024.
Guide future development
The Masterplan is required to be prepared by the Epping Forest District Council Local Plan in order to guide future development that has been allocated for North Weald Bassett.
The Masterplan includes:
- A minimum of 1,050 new energy efficient homes, including social rented and shared ownership, that would be available to local people
- New community facilities and land for healthcare facilities
- Improved access to St Andrew’s Primary School and commitment to additional education provision either through a new primary school or the expansion of St Andrew’s
- New and improved, fully equipped children’s play spaces
- Better sports facilities including an additional junior / mini pitch and improvements to the Memorial Playing Fields as the central sporting hub, making it more of a focal point in the village
- Public open space for recreation and biodiversity
- Additional planting throughout the masterplan area, including a new community orchard
- New retail units to complement existing shops and services in the village
- A new roundabout on the A414 providing direct access to the masterplan area
Epping Forest District Council will be hosting 2 in-person events in December where residents can discuss the draft Strategic Masterplan Framework document and put forward their views.
- Saturday 9 December 2023 from 10am to 2pm at St Andrew’s School, School Green Lane, North Weald, Epping, CM16 6EH
- Tuesday 12 December 2023 from 4pm to 7pm at St Andrew’s School, School Green Lane, North Weald, Epping, CM16 6EH
Booking is not required to attend the sessions.
A digital copy of the Strategic Masterplan document, together with an online comments form can be found at:
Copies of the Strategic Masterplan Framework document, together with comments forms can also be viewed at Epping Forest District Council offices, North Weald Bassett Library and Thornwood Common Parish Hall.
Framework and principles for future growth
EFDC Deputy Leader and Place Portfolio Holder Councillor Nigel Bedford said:
The vision for the strategic masterplan is to deliver a landscape-led plan, which respects the discrete character of the village and utilises existing landscape features.
The final strategic masterplan for North Weald Bassett will establish a framework and principles for future growth in the village, helping to determine future planning applications.
I would encourage residents to read the masterplan and have their say.
For further information
Keep up to date
Keep in touch with our latest news, service updates and reports.