We have partnered with Justice For Tenants, a non-profit tribunal advocacy service for tenants.
Justice For Tenants (JFT) can help private tenants reclaim any rent paid on a rented property where offences have taken place.
Rent Repayment Order
JFT can help tenants claim a Rent Repayment Order (RRO) which allows a tenant to recover up to 12 months rent from their private landlord if that landlord has not met certain requirements. Tenants can claim if they have:
- Lived in a house-share of 5 or more people that does not have a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licence
- Lived in a property where a landlord has breached an improvement notice
- Been harassed out of their property by their immediate landlord
JFT can apply for a RRO on a tenant’s behalf, be their representative, or simply provide advice and assistance. There are 2 requirements to apply for a Rent Repayment Order:
- Proof of having lived at the address – such as a tenancy agreement, bills, payslips
- Proof of paying rent – such as bank statements, receipts, rent book, cash withdrawals that match the rent amount)
How JFT can help
Rent Repayment Orders are only for reclaiming rent from privately owned properties. Housing benefits or Universal Credit are not included as they are claimed back by the local authority.
All claims are heard at a tribunal, rather than a court. Tenants do not need to attend although it is helpful if they can. Over 50% of RRO applications are settled before a hearing.
Justice For Tenants does charge a fee of 30% (plus VAT) of any monies that are recovered. If the case is unsuccessful, the tenant is not charged.
Contact Justice For Tenants
- Visit the Justice For Tenants website
- Email email@example.com
- Call 020 3476 6648
If you are concerned that you may be living in an unlicensed HMO, contact our private housing team:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 01992 564348
Keep up to date
Keep in touch with our latest news, service updates and reports.