We have received reports of a new scam targeting older people.
Residents are warned to be on the lookout for scammers claiming to be from the council to carry out work in people’s homes and asking for payment.
Reports on social media suggest residents in North Weald have been approached and some scammers have returned to certain households to claim more money.
We want to reassure residents that any work Epping Forest District Council (EFDC) carries out in your home
- Will be done by appointment only
- Staff carry and show ID upon arrival
- No payment will be asked for by the person doing the work. This is done via an automated system or arranged with the resident to pay at the Civic Offices in Epping
The above also applies to all the repairs to our council housing, which are carried out by Qualis Management or an approved contractor.
What to do
If you still unsure whether the person is legitimate
- Do not let them in to your home.
- Call the police
- Or confirm the visit with our Customer Contact Centre on 01992 564000 (Qualis Management on 0333 230 0464)
Keep up to date
Keep in touch with our latest news, service updates and reports.