Council offices development
This is an exciting time for the council and for our residents. Our plans for the redevelopment of our offices will kickstart a rejuvenation of Epping town centre, paving the way for new housing, bringing investment in jobs, the local economy and public services for the town and district.
This project offers us an excellent opportunity to support Epping, its businesses and the local community, which is important for our post COVID-19 recovery and for our vision for the future.
The existing site
The council office site currently consists of 2 buildings, the Conder Office, built in the 1960s and the Civic Office, a grade II listed building constructed in the 1980s, recognisable for its yellow and blue features.
What we plan to do
The Civic Office will remain as it is externally. Internally we will modernise by reconfiguring the existing office space to create more collaborative and flexible workspaces, we will also create space for other public services and businesses.
At a meeting of Cabinet on 1 June, we awarded the main refurbishment contract to ISG Fit Out Ltd. ISG took over the site in June 2020. Works have begun with an expected overall completion date of February 2021.
We intend to keep local residents informed every step of the way and we’re working extremely closely with our contractor to ensure minimal disruption.
We have put specific measures in place to achieve this:
- We’ve designated routes in to and out of Epping for the supplier traffic – which will minimise the impact on our high street and areas of residential housing
- We will be making as little noise as possible. All work will take place within the building and will involve only minor construction activities
- We’ve nominated a single point of contact for our residents for any questions you might have (details overleaf)
- We’ve created a sign-up form for email updates (details overleaf)
- Contractors will be on site from 8 am – 6 pm Monday to Friday and on some weekends
Business as usual
Although our face to face reception remains closed to protect our staff and customers from COVID-19, our customer contact team are always here to support you with any other queries you may have.
- Pay, report, apply and book on the website
- Email us
- Call us: 01992 564000
- Find us on Facebook and Twitter
- Find coronavirus information
- Coronavirus helpline – 01992 564088
- Make payments over the phone 01992 564600
- Consider setting up a direct debit for regular payments – it’s quick, easy and secure, guidance on setting up is available on our website or you can call us for support on 01992 564000
Whilst you cannot currently collect sacks from the Civic Offices we have supplied new high street outlets, details of which are on our website. This has been in place during lockdown and will continue. Arrangements have been made for sacks to be delivered to our most vulnerable residents.
Keep in touch
If you have any questions or queries about anything to do with this project, please contact Michael Turnbull:
Sign up for updates
If you would like to sign up for additional email updates, please visit