Business support and advice
Information about starting up and running a business in the UK.
Support, guidance and advice for businesses, employers and the self-employed can be found at Coronoavirus – Support for businesses.
Contact us to find out how we can help you and what we are doing to support local businesses:
‘Nurturing Growth’ is the Council’s economic policy document which outlines how we intend to make Epping Forest a great place to live, work, study and do business.
Consultation for this document and its key actions and priorities took place during 2019. An ‘Economic Strategy Stakeholder event’ was held in Theydon Village Hall on the 13 of November 2019 which saw local residents, businesses, voluntary services and public sector partners feedback on what they thought should be prioritised.
For more information about this document please contact the economic development team at:
Local business support organisations
Best Growth Hub
Best Growth Hub offers free scale up advice to businesses with aspirations of 50% turnover growth in 5 years. It can also provide SEBB (South East Business Boost) grants of up to 30% of the costs of eligible projects with the remaining 70% being provided by your business.
For more information and to find out your eligibility for support from their team, speak to one of their business navigators on 01702 417765 or visit the BEST Growth Hub website.
Essex Federation of Small Businesses
The Federation of Small Businesses is non-profit making and non-party political and is the UK’s largest campaigning pressure group promoting and protecting the interests of the self-employed and owners of small firms. Epping Forest is further represented by the South West Essex branch of the FSB.
Harlow Enterprise Hub
Harlow Enterprise Hub provides a modern, supportive working environment for new and existing businesses. Tenants also have access to sound, impartial business advice and business support services as part of their tenancy agreement.
Let’s Do Business Start Up
The Let’s Do Business (South East) Group Limited is a Social Enterprise helping businesses to start-up and grow throughout the South East of England. It offers services such as finance and support for businesses starting out, training courses, advice and support as well as exhibitions providing an opportunity for small businesses to showcase products.
The Ongar Business Centre (OBC)
Let’s Do Business Group also operates and manages the Ongar Business Centre. The centre offers a stimulating, supportive and managed working environment for 26 businesses. Tenants and virtual tenants at OBC benefit from a full range of business support services including expert advice, funding, finance and access to academic & commercial contacts. If you would like to find out about available space at the centre please follow this link.
National business support organisations
Support, advice and inspiration for growing your business. An online chat/phone service to help businesses with all sorts of enquiries. It has dedicated information pages on starting a business as well as on exporting goods and services. It also provides information on government policy that may affect businesses.
GOV.UK – Self-employment
Information on what you need to do for tax and national insurance purposes when you start up a business as a self-employed person, a partnership or a limited company.
GOV.UK – Setting up
GOV.UK is the Government’s online resource for businesses. What you need to do to set up depends on your type of business, where you work and whether you take people on to help.
Department for International Trade
If you are a company based in Essex and interested or involved in exporting goods and services, the best organisation to contact is Department for International Trade (DIT) East. DIT East exists to support companies in the East of England that want to trade and invest overseas.
The Prince’s Trust
If you are interested in setting up your own business and you are aged from 18 to 30, unemployed or working fewer than 16 hours a week, the Prince’s Trust Enterprise programme can help you decide whether self-employment is right for you.