Buying, selling or renting a property with a private water supply
We a keep register of known private water supplies in our district. If you are buying or renting a property then you may want to check with us if the vendor or landlord has:
- A registered private water supply with the Council
- Treatment systems
- Formal risk assessment
- Regular and recent water quality testing
- Any historic or present enforcement notices served
- Any outstanding actions which require the supply to meet regulatory standards.
- If you are renting a property the landlord has a duty to provide safe drinking water.
Selling a property
It may be necessary to get a water quality testing report and risk assessment to ensure the supply is safe. Any sampling must be carried out in a UKAS accredited lab.
The Council can carry this out, but it will take approximately 4 – 6 weeks to get the report and charges will apply.