Tree preservation orders (TPO’s)
Not all trees are protected but many are.
Before undertaking any pruning or removal of trees at your property you should check whether the trees are protected, as prior permission may be required for the work.
Trees can be protected by a Tree Preservation Order, Conservation Area designation or planning conditions.
A Tree Preservation Order (TPO) is an order made by a local planning authority to protect specific trees, groups of trees or woodlands in the interests of amenity. The order protects all live parts of the tree including roots and prohibits:
- cutting down
- wilful damage
- wilful destruction
Some activities are exempt and do not require formal permission. These are
- dead wooding
- making dangerous trees safe
- pruning fruit trees for commercial fruit production
If a protected tree needs immediate attention please get your tree surgeon to liaise with us the planning authority and take photos as evidence, before any works take place. Your photos should show the tree in context.
You can also check if a Tree is protected by contacting us in writing
- By Email: email@example.com
- By Post: Trees and Landscape, Planning Service, Epping Forest District Council Civic Offices, High Street, Epping, Essex CM16 4BZ
This information should also come up in official searches undertaken when purchasing a property.
Please be aware that the Local planning authority does not become responsible for protected trees.
The owner retains responsibility for their safety, and for meeting the costs of any necessary inspections or pruning.
Need to carry out work on a protected tree?
If you need to carry out work on a protected tree on your land, you will need to get prior formal consent from us as the local planning authority by completing the relevant form
We recommend getting advice from a tree specialist before submitting your application. The description of works needs to be specific and quantifiable.
Please read the guidelines on applications to ensure your application has everything required for validation.
Applications can also be submitted online via the Planning Portal.
When the application is received, it is dealt with like a planning application. Neighbours, the Parish Council and any interested parties will have an opportunity to make comments on the proposed work.
The application process takes 8 weeks.
If you receive permission, this is normally subject to conditions.
Once you have completed your from please send it back to us by
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post Trees and Landscape, Planning, Epping Forest District Council Civic offices, High Street, Epping, Essex CM16 4BZ
Need a tree surgeon?
If you need to employ a tree surgeon you must ensure their public liability insurance is up to date and that they are competent to undertake the task required.
All the tree surgeons listed below (in aphabectical order) have been vetted by us – we have checked their insurances and qualifications and the quality of their work. We are happy with their internal procedures in respect of checking the legal status of trees and the quality of their applications.
Arbtec Tree Services
- Contact Rod Hunt
- Fyfield Road, Ongar, Essex
- Telephone 01277 362605 / 02145 203697 / 07710 515536
- Email email@example.com
- Website www.arbtectreeservices.co.uk
Bartlett Tree Experts
- Contact Mark Davis
- Writtle Park Farm, Writtle Park Drive, Edney Common, Highwood, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 3QF
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website www.bartletttree.co.uk
Crown Tree Services
- Unit 7, Nash Hall, Chelmsford Rd, High Ongar, Essex, CM5 9NL
- Telephone 01277 525150 / 07803 257771
- Email email@example.com
- Website www.crowntreeservices.co.uk
CSG Usher’s Ltd
- Contact Michael Barker / Martin Shepherd
- Unit 13, Waterways Business Centre, Navigation Drive, Enfield, EN3 6JJ
- Telephone 01992 703840 / Out of hours emergency 07584 630702
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website www.csgushers.co.uk
D F Clark Contractors Ltd
- Andrews Farm, Burnham Road, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DS
- Telephone 01621 740876
- Email email@example.com
- Website www.dfclark.co.uk/d-f-clark-contractors
Essex Arboriculture Ltd
- The Old Barn, Main Road, Woodham Ferrers, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 8RF
- Telephone 01621 778699 / 01245 329622
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website www.essexarb.co.uk
Gardencare Tree Services
- Contact Joe Lovell
- Yew Tree Cottage, Epping Road, Ongar, CM5 0DF
- Telephone 01277 363686 / 07903 155751
- Email email@example.com
- Website www.gardencaretreeservices.com
Gristwood & Toms Arborists
- Contact Andrew Toms / James Mead
- Harris Lane, Shenley, Radlett, Hertfordshire, WD7 9EG
- Telephone 0345 8731500
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website www.gristwoodandtoms.co.uk
James Curry Arborist
- 90 Bishopsfield, Harlow, Essex, CM18 6UN
- Telephone 01279 421047 / 07788 132162
- Email email@example.com
Kendal Tree Surgery Ltd
- Contact Mark Hendy
- 8 Kendal Avenue, Epping, Essex, CM16 4PN
- Telephone 07930 752888 / 01992 572717
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website www.kendaltreesurgery.co.uk
- 9 Long Green, Waltham Abbey, Essex, EN9 2LS
- Telephone 01992 890620 / 07721 495480
- Email email@example.com
Principal Trees Ltd
- Contact Steve Venables / Symone Venables
- Poyndon Farm, Silver Street, Goffs Oak, Herts EN7 5JG
- Telephone 01279 841028 / 07973 440628
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website www.principaltrees.co.uk
RS Tree Services
- Contact Rob Staunton
- Greensted Road, Greensted Green, Ongar, Essex, CM5 9LG
- Telephone 01277 363170 / 07941 142805
- Email email@example.com
Theydon Tree Care Services
- Contact Jonathon Eaton
- Woodside, Coppice Row, Theydon Bois, Essex, CM16 7DS
- Telephone 01992 814108 / 07843 379523