Fire safety in council homes
We take fire safety very seriously, and we need your help to maintain fire safety in and around your council home.
The latest advice from the Health and Safety Executive is that we must keep doing Fire Safety Risk Assessments during this coronavirus pandemic.
Read Help us to keep you safe for our latest advice.
Fire safety policy
We have 2 policies currently in place with regards to fire protection:
- Evacuation policy – implemented at both sheltered and temporary housing accommodation blocks
- Stay put policy – implemented at general needs blocks, which means you do not need to evacuate your flat unless there is a fire in the flat
Fire action advice is implemented at general needs houses and bungalows.
Both policies have received support from the Essex County Fire and Rescue Service during recent consultation following the Grenfell Tower fire disaster. These policies apply to all tenants and visitors.
What we do to keep you safe
- We inspect our blocks of flats on a regular basis to identify and report any issues for priority repair
- We work with the Essex County Fire and Rescue Service to ensure our blocks of flats are as safe as possible, carrying out regular fire risk audits
- Our fire safety policy outlines how we manage fire risk in our properties
- We carry out fire risk assessments in all communal areas to ensure our blocks meet the highest possible fire standards. These are detailed reports of any significant fire hazards within the building
Read our fire safety policy
Find more guidance on home fire safety on the Essex County Fire and Rescue Service home fire safety website.
Fire risk assessments for blocks of flats
Enter your address or post code in the search box to find the fire risk assessment for the building you live in.
If you cannot find your home on this list please call our fire risk assessment officer on 01992 564172.
- Fire safety leaflet – Council houses 2019 (pdf 424KB)
- Fire safety leaflet – Flats 2019 (pdf 460KB)
- Fire safety leaflet – Sheltered housing 2019 (pdf 543KB)
If you have any concerns about fire safety in your council home please contact us:
- Email email@example.com
- Call 01992 564199