Housing conditions and enforcement
Privately rented homes need to be safe for residents to live in, we look at
- Fire precautions
- Missing amenities
We use enforcement procedures to achieve statutory housing and environmental standards.
Are you a private tenant experiencing problems with your living conditions?
- Contact your landlord or letting agent. Their details should be on your tenancy agreement. Contact them in writing, if you have had difficulties with them previously.
- If you have not had a reply after a reasonable time (around 14 days for non-urgent works) then contact the Private Sector Housing Team.
- If you think the works are dangerous or urgent contact Private Sector Housing Team at the same time that you contact your landlord.
Private rented homes include Houses in Multiple occupation (HMOs) and housing association properties.
What can we do?
If your landlord is ignoring your request for help, then we may be able to make sure that repairs or improvements are carried out – and the property is safe for you. Normally, we start by approaching the landlord by phone or letter. However, if there is previous history of problems with the landlord, then we may adopt a more formal approach straight away.
We will make an appointment to visit you at home and assess the property using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System. We look at any deficiencies and hazards in the property, to help us decide what action we need to take. We may serve a statutory notice on your landlord, or letting agent managing the property, requiring them to carry out remedial works within a reasonable time (normally 28 days minimum).
If your landlord has not appealed against the notice, and does not carry out the works within the time allowed, we may carry out the works and recover the costs from the landlord.
Is your home damp?
Damp can cause mould on walls, ruin your decorations and furniture. It can also increase the risk of respiratory illness. One of the most common causes of damp is condensation.
Local Authority Flexible Eligibility Statement of Intent
- Great British Insulation Scheme and ECO4 Flexible Statement of Intent (pdf 184KB)
- Statement of intent housing energy company obligation help to heat (redacted) (pdf 314KB)
This scheme has now been superseded by the ECO4 scheme
Contact our private sector housing team
- Telephone: 01992 564348
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org