Elections and voting
Apply for a postal vote
You must be registered to vote before you apply for a postal vote. You can apply to vote by post
- for a single election on a specific date
- for a specific period
Download a postal vote application form
Complete the form, make sure you have signed it and return it to us. You can scan the form and send it as an attachment to an email, or you can post the form to us.
We must receive your postal vote application at least 11 working days before the election, so that we can issue your postal vote.
Complete and return your postal vote
When voting by post, you should
- mark your vote on your ballot paper in secret
- fill in the postal voting statement
- put the ballot and statement in the envelope provided
- seal the envelope yourself
- post your vote back as quickly as possible to make sure it’s counted
Your postal vote pack will be sent to the requested address, around 2 weeks before the election day. Instructions about how to cast your postal vote are included in your pack.
You must return your postal vote to us by 10pm on polling day.
You can’t vote at a polling station if you have a postal vote. However, you can return your completed postal vote to your polling station on the election day if you do not post it.
There are 3 ways to vote