Elections and voting
When’s the next election
This list below does not include by-elections, snap elections or referendums which can be held at any time.
4 May 2023
2 May 2024
- General election of 3 MPs – the whole of the Epping Forest constituency and part of both Brentwood & Ongar and Harlow constituencies
- Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner for Essex
- Epping Forest District Council election for all councillors after a Local Government Council Size and Boundary Ward Review
1 May 2025
- Essex County Council election of 7 county councillors representing the Epping Forest district
About local elections
Our local elections use the first-past-the-post (FPTP) electoral system.
- Epping Forest District Council – district councillors are elected to represent their ward for 4 years
- Parish and town councils – parish and town councillors are elected to represent their parish or town council for 4 years
- Essex County Council – county councillors are elected to represent their division for 4 years
- Police, fire and crime commissioner for Essex – elected to represent Essex for 4 years
- UK Parliamentary (also known as general elections) – MPs are elected to represent their constituency for 5 years
Epping Forest District Council votes by thirds. This means that a third of councillors are elected every year over a 4 year cycle. There is no district council election in the fourth year.