Elections and voting
When’s the next election
Local elections are your chance to have your say in who will represent your local area.
Elections 6 May 2021
On 6 May 2021 there are 4 elections for Epping Forest voters:
- Election of County Councillors
- Election of District Councillors (postponed from 7 May 2020 due to coronavirus pandemic)
- Election of Parish / Town Councillors (postponed from 7 May 2020 due to coronavirus pandemic)
- Election of a Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner for Essex Police Area (postponed from 7 May 2020 due to coronavirus pandemic)
Candidate and election information
- News story 9 April – Candidates for the County Council elections
- News story 9 April – Candidates for the District Council elections
- News story 9 April – Candidates for the Parish and Town Council elections
- News story 9 April – Candidates for the PFCC election
- News story 19 March – Notice of elections on 6 May
- News story 23 March – Notice of by-election on 6 May
Unsure which ward you live in?
Go to Find your councillor and enter your postcode to find out.
Register to vote
You need to be on the electoral register to vote in these elections. Registering to vote will let you have your say in local elections, general elections and referendums.
You only need to register once – not for every election. You’ll need to register again if you’ve changed your name, address or nationality.
This list below does not include by-elections, snap elections or referendums which can be held at any time.
7 May 2020
The local and Police and Crime Commissioner elections due to take place on 7 May 2020 will be postponed until 6 May 2021.
6 May 2021
Postponed from 7 May 2020.
- Epping Forest District Council election for 21 out of 58 district councillors
- Parish and Town Council election for 14 out of 24 parish and town councils:
- Abbess, Beauchamp and Berners Roding Parish Council
- Buckhurst Hill Parish Council
- Chigwell Parish Council
- Fyfield Parish Council
- High Ongar Parish Council
- Loughton Town Council
- Moreton, Bobbingworth and the Lavers Parish Council
- Stanford Rivers Parish Council
- Stapleford Abbotts Parish Council
- Stapleford Tawney Parish Council
- Theydon Bois Parish Council
- Theydon Garnon Parish Council
- Theydon Mount Parish Council
- Willingale Parish Council
- Election for Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner for Essex
Scheduled for 6 May 2021
- Essex County Council election of 7 county councillors representing the Epping Forest district
- Notice of vacancy Chigwell Village ward (pdf 94KB)
5 May 2022
- Epping Forest District Council election for 19 out of 58 district councillors
4 May 2023
- Epping Forest District Council election for 18 out of 58 district councillors
2 May 2024
- General election of 3 MPs – the whole of the Epping Forest constituency and part of both Brentwood & Ongar and Harlow constituencies
District, Parish and Town, and County Council elections are held every 4 years. Parliamentary elections for MPs are held every 5 years. All use the first-past-the-post (FPTP) electoral system.
Epping Forest District Council votes by thirds, this means that a third of councillors are elected every year over a 4 year cycle (with no district elections in the fourth year).