Crime and safety
Find out how to get help if you or someone you know is a victim of domestic abuse.
Reporting domestic abuse
Essex Police domestic abuse non-emergency number:
- Telephone 0800 358 0351
Advice and information
The Southend, Essex and Thurrock domestic abuse partnership website (SETDAB) provides advice and information on services for those affected by domestic abuse.
What is abuse?
Domestic abuse can happen to anyone, regardless of age, social background, gender, religion, sexuality or ethnicity.
The abuse can be:
Domestic abuse is rarely a one-off. Incidents generally become more frequent and severe over time.
Are you being abused?
Does your partner or family member:
- Hit you?
- Threaten to hurt you, your children, friends, family, pets, your things or themselves?
- Put you down and make you feel bad about yourself?
- Behave in a jealous and possessive way?
- Control all the money against your wishes?
- Make you have sex when you don’t want to?
- Control where you go and who you see?
- Or are you worried that you will be forced to marry someone?
If you answer yes to any of the above, you may living with domestic abuse.