Housing for older people
Downsizing and re-housing support
Council tenants who would like a smaller home are able to downsize or be re homed and could receive up to £4,000 for moving.
Tenants living in a large property, who do not need the space or may want to move to a property that is cheaper to run or more manageable can apply though the housing register.
Demand for council homes is extremely high. In freeing up homes through our downsizing incentive scheme, properties can become available to families in need of larger accommodation.
Tenants wishing to downsize could receive up to £4,000
Tenants wanting to transfer to smaller accommodation are placed in Band 1 the highest priority banding.
- Each room ‘released’ back to the council is £1000
- £500 for removal expenses
- £500 to meet decoration costs
To make your move less stressful, our Re-housing Support Officer can help you sort out all the arrangements such as:
- Joining the Housing Register
- Changing your doctor
- Informing other organisations about your change of address; and
- Organising the packing and removal
For more information on the downsizing incentive scheme please contact Housing Options