Information for leaseholders
Your lease is a legally binding document and is the contract between you and us, Epping Forest District Council.
The lease is usually for 125 years, from the date of the first sale within your block. This means that when the first person in your block bought their property under the Right to Buy Scheme, their lease would be for the maximum of 125 years.
Your solicitor should have explained what the lease means before you purchased, and what your rights and duties are under the lease. We also have rights and duties under the lease.
As the freeholder we insure the block where your home is situated. As with other service charges we will then recharge you your share of the cost.
This does not provide cover for day to day maintenance and repairs that are caused by wear and tear over time. You must notify us immediately if the property becomes vacant for more than 30 days.
Our building insurance policy does not insure your personal possessions or contents such as carpets, curtains or furniture.
We strongly advise that you have contents insurance and are aware of the terms of insurance.
Making a claim
To make a claim:
If you require either a copy of the building policy or confirmation of cover, you must put your request in writing to:
Home Ownership Officer
323 High Street
Contact the Home Ownership Team:
- Telephone 01992 564015 or 564428
- Email email@example.com
- Write to Home Ownership Team, Civic Offices, 323 High Street, Epping, CM16 4BZ
Our Housing Management Team cover business including:
- Anti-social behaviour including neighbour nuisance
- Estate management
Estate and land issues
The Estate and Land Team deals with issues which relate to estates and land acquired/held under Housing Act powers. Contact this team for issues relating to:
- Estate inspections
- Clearance of communal areas following fire risk assessments
- Estate enhancements
- The use or misuse of the council’s housing land
To contact them:
- Call: 01992 564186
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit: Epping Forest District Council Loughton Office, 63 The Broadway, Loughton IG10 3SP – Closed until further notice
The Neighbourhoods Team deals with issues relating to:
- Anti-social behaviour from council tenants
To contact them:
- Call: 01992 564765
- Email: email@example.com
- Visit: The Limes Centre, Limes Avenue, Chigwell IG7 5LP