Council Tax bands and amounts
Your Council Tax band is based on the value of your property on 1 April 1991.
Check your Council Tax charge
Select your address from the list by entering your address or post code in the search box to find your Council Tax charge for 2019/2020.
Check your Council Tax band
Go to the HM Revenue and Customs Valuation Office website if you want to know the Council Tax band of a property.
Council Tax valuation band ranges
Properties in England are split into 8 bands from A to H, depending on the price they would have sold for in April 1991.
Council Tax bands are worked out by the HM Revenue and Customs Valuation Office.
The valuation band ranges for England are:
- Band A – Up to £40,000
- Band B – £40,001 to £52,000
- Band C – £52,001 to £68,000
- Band D – £68,001 to £88,000
- Band E – £88,001 to £120,000
- Band F – £120,001 to £160,000
- Band G – £160,001 to £320,000
- Band H – More than £320,000
If you wish to appeal your property’s valuation band, visit GOV.UK Council Tax appeals.