Local Council Tax Support
Local Council Tax Support (LCTS) is provided to people on low incomes to help with their Council Tax bill.
You can apply if you are liable for Council Tax at the home you live in.
What you get depends on
- Where you live – each council runs its own scheme
- The make up your household eg children and other adults
- The income of you and any partner
- The capital owned by you and any partner
Every council has a different Local Council Tax Support scheme. Our scheme is based on the old Council Tax benefit scheme but has the following key differences.
- The calculation of support is based on 75% of the Council Tax bill, rather than 100%
- The calculation is based on a maximum of a band D property. This means that anyone of working age that lives in a property with a higher Council Tax band, will have their support calculated as if their property was a band D
- The capital limit is £6,000
- There is no second adult rebate scheme
- Child maintenance is included with a disregard of £15 per week
- The minimum award is £0.50 per week
- Maximum period of 3 months for backdated support
- A minimum income floor for earnings from self-employment
How to apply?
When applying online you will be asked to attach relevant documents and information. You will be given an application number so you can log back into complete the form.